Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Homelessness and Hunger Outreach


This SUNDAY afternoon, from  3:30-6:30, join me to volunteer as a Guest Chef at the Laboure House, just north of the loop (3938 N. Leavitt St Chicago, IL 60618). 

Laboure House is an intergenerational assisted living residence for impoverished seniors run by the Saint Vincent De Paul Center, and is affiliated with the Chicago Cares Network.

If you would like to join me for the activity, please call/ shoot me an email and/or contact project coordinator Stephanie Keeney: 219 629 4659, stephanie.keeney1@gmail.com.  

Sign up on the Chicago Cares network at chicagocares.org to learn more about this and other local volunteer opportunities.  

 

Some of you expressed interest in coordinating a donations drive to go to the Lincoln Park Community Shelter or other local homeless shelters, but I can’t do this alone!  This would be a great project, but it would require your participation for publicity, manning tables, etc.  Let me know if you’d be interested in helping to set up tables in SAIC lobbies to ask for monetary donations to purchase food for LPCS.  Additionally, we could coordinate a drive asking for donations of food or supplies.  I have sent emails to the managers of local supermarkets asking if they would be interested in donating food for LPCS, but have yet to receive a response.  Let me know if you could help me to get in touch with these or other grocery store managers.  

 

Also, would our group be interested in becoming a CORE team with the Chicago Coalition for Homelessness?  This could be a great opportunity for us to do some meaningful long-term outreach work.  I’ll be meeting with leaders from their organization in two weeks, and would love for you to join me.   Shoot me an email if you’d like to be a part of our meetings, since we are currently in the process of securing a meeting time.

No comments: